Writing to my MP, Jeremy Corbyn

I went on the London Women's March last week, along with a few hundred thousand of my closest friends, and it felt good to be part of a larger crowd all expressing their fear and solidarity about the state of the world at this inauspicious time. I had to admit to feeling a niggling sense of frustration though, that the march would have little effect on the world leadership, unless we did the same thing the next day, and the next, and the next after that.

There are millions of us who are now wondering how we can act to show our resistance to President Trump and the world leaders who are trying to work with him. I was talking to my friend, Annette, about what possible actions we can take, and how it's difficult to "act local" on this one, except for being kind and generous to the people around you, and especially to strangers, which I have been trying to do much more of instead of being a passive member of the community. I'll keep doing that. She suggested writing to my MP specifically now to urge rejection of Trump's horrible immigration ban on human beings from seven Muslim majority countries. Because my MP is Jeremy Corbyn, I've changed the tone of my letter to one of support. (And I am not worrying about Brexit in this context.)

You can do the same thing, through They Work For You, and I heartily urge you to do so.

I have also made two letter templates - Resist & Support - which you are welcome to use, reuse, rewrite, and share along.

Now is not the time for silence.

---
Dear Mr Corbyn,

It’s clear to me from your recent announcements that you have been closely observing the escalating executive orders President Trump has been making.

As your constituent I offer my support to you and your efforts to publicly condemn the ban barring all immigration from seven majority-Muslim nations.

This is no longer a party political or diplomatic discussion. We must now all act to preserve and live in a respectful humanitarian world where human lives matter, no matter who your parents are, where you were born, if you are a person of faith, who you choose to love, or with which gender you identify.

I am very pleased to see you using your position to counteract this repugnant policy, and fully support your call to ban Trump’s state visit, possibly forever. What the world needs now is love, and resistance to this bizarre, xenophobic leadership.

We all need to be brave and speak up. Keep going!

Yours sincerely,
George Oates
Here's that link again: They Work for You. Please, write a note now. It took me ten minutes.